Friday, Sept. 11
September 11th Memorial Service at Mission BBQ
Mission BBQ | 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. | Details
Mission BBQ will be having a Memorial Service to honor those 2,977 lives claimed by the brutal attacks of September 11th, 2001. The Memorial service is in conjunction with and cooperation with Mission BBQ.
Virtual 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony with the Wilmington Fire Department
Online (Facebook Live) | 8:30 – 9:30 | Details
- Join the Wilmington Fire Department virtually for this year’s 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony. The ceremony will be on Friday, September 11th at 8:30 a.m. Please join to honor those who have fallen, both across the nation and here at home, on this special day of remembrance.
Curbside Cinema: Wilmington on Fire
Kenan Auditorium |7 p.m. | Details
“Wilmington on Fire” is a feature-length documentary that chronicles The Wilmington Massacre of 1898.
Saturday, Sept. 12
Pier – to – Pier Open Water Swim Race
Wrightsville Beach | 9 a.m. | Details
The Pier-2-Pier Swim Race (in memory of Ryan Alea Young) is an annual open water ocean swim race at beautiful Wrightsville Beach, NC, and is hosted by the Cape Fear Aquatic Club and the Wilmington Family YMCA. The race course is 2 miles between the Johnny Mercer and Crystal Piers (1.71 miles along the beach, plus the swim to and from the “dry” finish and start lines).
Cameron Art Museum (CAM) re-opens
Cameron Art Museum (CAM) | 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Details
Celebrate with CAM as they re-open their doors to the public after six months of being closed due to COVID. Enjoy three new exhibitions – She Persists, The Lived-In Body: Celebrating Women Over 65, Paintings by Virginia Wright-Frierson, and The Face of Lincoln. Masks and social distancing required.
Harp Petting Zoo
Brooklyn Arts Music Academy | 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Details
- The Harp Petting Zoo at Brooklyn Arts Music Academy in downtown Wilmington, NC, features a chance for kids ages 8 and under to try out the harp. No previous musical experience required. Due to Covid, only 5 kids may participate at a time.
Sunday, Sept. 13
Civil War Cruise
Wilmington Water Tours | 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. | Details
- Climb onboard a Wilmington Water Tours cruise full of history of the Cape Fear region. Dr. Chris Fonvielle, their local history expert, will be on board to bring you back in time, starting with the early explorers, Giovanni de Verrazano being the first known European explorer to arrive in the area. Then you’ll go to the Revolutionary War in the late 1700s and finish with the Civil War and the Battle of Wilmington in 1865.
Science of Distilling with End of Days
Online | 5 – 6 p.m. | Details
- Join End of Days Distillery owners Shane & Beth Faulkner for a Zoom conversation. Learn about the science of distilling and their obsession for crafting small-batch spirits that thrill the palate and inspire the soul. Hear about how they were able to recognize a community need and pivot the business to create hand sanitizer when COVID-19 closed their tasting room six weeks after it opened. Shane will take you on a virtual tour of the distillery while explaining the distilling process, ultra-premium ingredients used in their spirits and the passion that goes into each bottle. Pour yourself a beverage, settle into a cozy chair and enjoy the conversation with them.
Axes & Allies Fall League Begins
Axes & Allies | 7 – 9 p.m. | Details
- Axes & Allies fall league starts 9/13 and runs for eight consecutive weeks on Sunday evenings.
Pop-Up Pilates Barre Fusion
Good Hops Brewing | 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. | Details
- Hosted by Salty Dog Yoga & Surf. Join Angie for a special Pilates Barre fusion class at Good Hops.
Know of any events this weekend that we missed? Feel free to contact us by clicking here with those event details and we’ll add it to the list!
Stay up to date on all things Cape Fear Weekend!