Make strawberry bread this strawberry season
With strawberry season being in full swing right now, strawberry picking fields open with precautions and restrictions due to COVID-19, and a lot of people still stuck at home… Now is literally the perfect time to try making Strawberry Bread!
If you’ve never heard of strawberry bread before, think banana bread. But instead of bananas, strawberries!
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the bread:
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup milk
- 1/2cup oil
- 1large egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2 cupsdiced strawberries
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the glaze:
- 2cups powdered sugar
- 2tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3cup finely diced strawberries
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, milk, oil, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, toss together the strawberries and the 2 tablespoons of flour to coat the strawberries. Fold the floured strawberries gently into the batter.
- Pour the bread batter into a greased 9″x5″ bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, diced strawberries and extract in a small bowl. Mix until it is smooth.
- Once the bread is cool, spread the glaze on top of the bread. Slice and serve.
Stay up to date on all things Cape Fear Weekend!