If you cannot take a dip in the pool or ocean, Try cooling off than with a recipe for homemade Ice Cream.
The weekends are heating up as the unofficial start of Summer approaches. Here is an added bonus, you wont need to go out and purchase an expensive ice cream maker to make it!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 pint of Heavy cream
- 1 pint of half & half
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- (Optional) mix-ins or flavorings
- Freeze a large glass dish or metal pan for approximately 1 hour.
- Combine your heavy cream, half & half, sugar and vanilla and stir for about 5 minutes or until all the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer mixture to frozen dish & freeze for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Prepare anywhere from 1 – 1 ½ cups of mix-ins (Oreos, cookie dough, chocolate chips, etc.) Use rolling pin to break down pieces.
- Once cream freezes around sides of the dish, add mix-ins and blend with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Freeze mixture for 30-45 minutes and stir with mixer. Repeat this step until cream freezes (2-3 hours) or until cream takes an ice-cream consistency.
- Store extra in glass top or rubber tub for up to 3 months.
Get the kids involved in the ice cream making process. They will learn just how much work goes into the delicious treat they take for granted.
Stay up to date on all things Cape Fear Weekend!